Who am I?



Soup plate with no spoon;
My name is Shibi o’nike, I am not from here.
The day the white garment man came to separate daadi and maama started as any other. At 7:30 the  morning sun was up bathing the backyard window panes. Inside, the aroma of our groundnut soup was I born.
Maama, I saw from my other end couldn't bear any longer


''Politicians will sell you empty promises of what they intend to do in office, while nation builders, before entering office, will practically show you what they will do & how they will do it when elected... 
I am passionate about that nation of our dreams and I intend to  campaign differently from the usual way.'' was ringing from the rechargeable lantern supervising our room.
Eggy, yet woven, the edges of who i am...slips now and then.

Wait let me tell you what happened not too long ago after my birth. 
Patting the meat on both laps and flashing a grin, Victoria called out "Come, my dear, come and rest, you must be tired."
"I want to carry you, please naw."
"Haa! You wan break your leg?, I am 120kg o." I hesitated in joke.
She stood up, took a few steps to a small soot-laden aluminium pot, picked a stainless bowl and a big spoon on her right hand.
"I cook egusi, you go eat?."
"No...I don belle full." I answered and sat on a dwarf stool feeling my soles against the rough concrete ground spaced patches here and there.
I heaved as I wondered how in such a short time we have closed the distance between us.
what must jostle positions with the sweetness on a Friday night?something new and exciting, that pumps blood into the heart and perhaps put little skips in steps, sending tingles down the spine,  a good date or even several in one night. and of a talk about romance, an outing that is never real in true sense of it though it leaves same feel in the senses. about the same hour, i was rubbed in circles, harder at the centre of those thighs whose succulence oozed mild heat on a date palm - that edible sweet fruit - its other side mattereth not. in and outwards, up and down are both as awesome as they were the moment i first came to town.

It's been so long since I heard from you." Victoria picked hairstrands on my chest sending off bells in my head. "I thought maybe youd fallen for the storm of faces that blew you to some  faraway place."
"But I only went to Rehab bush there is no girl there just me and my friend." I replied. "Remember I spent just last night."
"You know I had to go."
   a look  of  hopelessness  in  her  eyes even in the dim room as she busied pulling my hands to the corner where a raffia mat overlay lumps of rags as mattress.
"I miss you, i do not want to loose you, i do not have another"
 I  noticed  a  hopeless  strain  in  her  voice
"My mother travelled, keep me company because I am afraid alone here."
Way in unbelief and excitement, I shrieked.
My laugh was but a dry, humorless sound.
 I straightened back up at my seat made to increase the lamplight. She peeled my fingers off the knob pinching my palms.

"Don't, I like the room this way."
Our eyes met, a somber expression crept into hers.
Doing my best to keep the bristle out of my voice as i made to speak, i managed to blink away the snotty thought I did have rummaging.
"I am okay here and I am leaving soon."

Deep inside I was fighting the riptide of emotions that threatened to sweep me under.
I said "just for ten minutes I'll stay and bye bye".

"I never knew even men had it"
"The wori-wori syndrome."
"What is that? I thought only women gave their genes out to be wrapped with threads of worry.

In the quiet depth of my earthly heart as my feet sat on the earthy floor, that voice called
Toting extra caution.
So shave to redemption, more like a dream, a fishy scent stuck my nostrils.
“Don’t you like what I’m doing?” she downed some breathe. “Let me stop”.
My back laid fastened to the bed.
The room, as I peered at the ceiling came caving in haze. I could only feel coldness behind my buttocks. 
That perhaps collected all my senses    
Now I remember who I am.
Shibi O'nike - Soup plate with no spoon;

My maama is calling me.
See you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

do believe we?

Imagine, for a second!

LOVE SPOKES