Aunty Ihedi & We
My mum teaches English at Vocal Stars School. My father
always carries a big case, he loves wearing safari.
For as long as I can recall, I guess I was five years old or
thereabout. We were always home alone with her, I and Eledi, my immediate
younger brother.
She was from my mother’s village. The last time I looked for
the church bulletin in the old factory calendar file where he kept it, she was carrying
aunty Charity at infant.
Subtle and dotting in hours when our parents were home.
Aunty Ihedi followed us on a new year eve back from the village. Mum wanted a
credible house help and not just anyone…
She placed an eagle eye on us as mum gave her. Never did
Ebenga, my closest friend next doorstep his flat clay feet on our red carpet nor
could I go out to play mortal combat at Sanel's. As soon as she came in, our
front door was at all times shut.
"Our eyes were locked on screenplays of Nollywood. I
can't forget 'Top Secret'. Saint Obi is my favorite actor. Up to ten times,
she would replay romantic scenes and ask if I love Hilda Dokubo or Regina
Askia". Then NEPA will make us boo, turn off the switches and go pour the water from the kettle. We had our bath together, she would make me scrub
her back after she'd washed off lather my body. Way out of the bathroom, I’d be
strapped on her back to our room. She allowed us to play with her triangular hair through that warm route. After that, she bounced on us. Mama was always glad because the house smelt fresh every
time and my brother was silent in sleep.
Comments
Post a Comment